我們開到了查理的房子前。燈亮著,我的卡車還在老地方,一切完全正常。就好像從夢里醒來一樣。他把車停下來,但我沒動。
"Do you promise to be there tomorrow?"
“你保證明天在那里?”
"I promise."
“我保證。”
I considered that for a moment, then nodded. I pulled his jacket off, taking one last whiff.
我思索了片刻,然后點了點頭。我把夾克脫下來,吸了最后一口香氣。
"You can keep it — you don't have a jacket for tomorrow," he reminded me.
“你可以留著它——你明天可沒有夾克可穿。”他提醒我。
I handed it back to him. "I don't want to have to explain to Charlie."
我把它遞還給他。“我可不想被迫向查理解釋。”
"Oh, right." He grinned.
“哦,好吧。”他咧嘴一笑。
I hesitated, my hand on the door handle, trying to prolong the moment.
我遲疑著,把手放到門柄上,努力拖延著動作。
"Bella?" he asked in a different tone — serious, but hesitant.
“貝拉?”他用一種不同尋常的語氣問道——嚴肅,但猶豫。
"Yes?" I turned back to him too eagerly.
“嗯?”我太過熱切地回過頭去看著他。
"Will you promise me something?"
“你能向我保證一件事嗎?”
"Yes," I said, and instantly regretted my unconditional agreement. What if he asked me to stayaway from him? I couldn't keep that promise.
“好的。”我剛說完,立刻為自己這個太過絕對的同意后悔了。假設(shè)他要我遠離他呢?我沒法信守那樣的承諾。
"Don't go into the woods alone."
“別再獨自一人走到森林里去。”
I stared at him in blank confusion. "Why?"
我完全摸不著頭腦,困惑地看著他:“為什么?”
He frowned, and his eyes were tight as he stared past me out the window.
他皺起眉,當他的目光越過我看向窗外時,眼神緊繃著。
"I'm not always the most dangerous thing out there. Let's leave it at that."
“在那里我不總是最危險的生物。讓我們離它遠遠的。”
I shuddered slightly at the sudden bleakness in his voice, but I was relieved. This, at least,was an easy promise to honor. "Whatever you say."
他聲音里的陰郁讓我微微顫抖著,但我還是很寬慰。至少,這是個容易遵守的承諾。“如你所愿。”