"What's up, then?" asked Holmes with a twinkle in his eye. "You look dissatisfied."
"出了什么事啦??。?quot;福爾摩斯眨了眨眼睛問道,"看你這樣子似乎很不遂心。"
"And I feel dissatisfied. It is this infernal St. Simon marriage case.
"我的確是感到很不稱心。就是圣西蒙勛爵婚事這件倒霉的案子。
I can make neither head nor tail of the business."
對這件案子我是一點頭緒也沒有。"
"Really! You surprise me."
"真的嗎?你真叫我感到吃驚。"
"Who ever heard of such a mixed affair?
"誰聽說過這樣一團亂糟糟的事情?
Every clue seems to slip through my fingers. I have been at work upon it all day."
每一條線索似乎都從我的手指中溜掉了。我一整天都在忙著搞這件事。"
"And very wet it seems to have made you," said Holmes, laying his hand upon the arm of the pea-jacket.
"看來把你搞得渾身都濕透了。"福爾摩斯說著,一只手搭在他那件粗呢上衣的胳膊上。
"Yes, I have been dragging the Serpentine."
"是的,我正在塞彭廷湖里打撈。"
"In heaven's name, what for?"
"天哪,那是為什么?"
"In search of the body of Lady St. Simon."
"尋找圣西蒙夫人的尸體。"
Sherlock Holmes leaned back in his chair and laughed heartily.
福爾摩斯仰身靠在椅子上,捧腹大笑起來。
"Have you dragged the basin of Trafalgar Square fountain?" he asked.
"你沒有在特拉德爾加廣場的噴水池里打撈吧?"他問道。
"Why? What do you mean?"
"唔,你這是什么意思?"
"Because you have just as good a chance of finding this lady in the one as in the other."
"因為在那里尋找這位夫人的機會和在另一處尋找的機會一樣多。"