英語聽力 學英語,練聽力,上聽力課堂! 注冊 登錄
> 在線聽力 > 有聲讀物 > 世界名著 > 福爾摩斯探案全集 >  第533篇

福爾摩斯探案集·工程師大拇指案 第23期:被砍掉的大拇指(9)

所屬教程:福爾摩斯探案全集

瀏覽:

2021年11月30日

手機版
掃描二維碼方便學習和分享
https://online2.tingclass.net/lesson/shi0529/10000/10341/gcsdmza23.mp3
https://image.tingclass.net/statics/js/2012

I took the lamp from him, and I examined the machine very thoroughly.

我從他手里拿過燈,非常徹底地檢查那機器。

It was indeed a gigantic one, and capable of exercising enormous pressure.

這確實是一臺龐大的機器,能夠產生巨大的壓力。

When I passed outside, however, and pressed down the levers which controlled it,

然而,當我走到外面,壓下操縱桿時,就聽到有颼颼聲,

I knew at once by the whishing sound that there was a slight leakage,

我馬上明白這是機器里有細微的裂隙,

which allowed a regurgitation of water through one of the side cylinders.

裂隙使得水能經由一個側活塞回流。

An examination showed that one of the india-rubber bands which was round the head of a driving-rod had shrunk

經過檢查表明傳動桿頭上的一個橡皮墊圈已經皺縮了,

so as not quite to fill the socket along which it worked.

因而不能塞住在其中來回移動的桿套。

This was clearly the cause of the loss of power, and I pointed it out to my companions,

這很明顯是浪費壓力的原因,我向我的伙伴指出了這一點,

who followed my remarks very carefully and asked several practical questions as to how they should proceed to set it right.

他非常仔細地聽著我的話,并問了幾個關于應該怎么修理好這臺機器的實際問題。

When I had made it clear to them, I returned to the main chamber of the machine

對他們交代清楚以后,我回到機器的主室內,

and took a good look at it to satisfy my own curiosity.

為了滿足我的好奇心,我仔細地打量著這個小房間。

It was obvious at a glance that the story of the fuller's-earth was the merest fabrication,

只要看一眼就會明白,關于漂白土的故事,完全是胡扯,

for it would be absurd to suppose that so powerful an engine could be designed for so inadequate a purpose.

因為如果認為這個功效如此之大的機器竟然是為這么不恰當的目的而設計的,那才真是荒唐可笑呢。

用戶搜索

瘋狂英語 英語語法 新概念英語 走遍美國 四級聽力 英語音標 英語入門 發(fā)音 美語 四級 新東方 七年級 賴世雄 zero是什么意思韶關市茗苑樓(亨泰路85號)英語學習交流群

  • 頻道推薦
  • |
  • 全站推薦
  • 推薦下載
  • 網站推薦