在門首盤桓,不忍遽去,
A moment linger'd near the gate,
眼前的一切都棖觸前塵,
Each scene recall'd the vanish'd hours,
都叫他詛咒未來的境遇。
And bade him curse his future fate.
此后,他遠走異域關山,
But, wandering on through distant climes,
學會了如何忍受悲苦;
He learnt to bear his load of grief;
對往日良辰只付之一嘆,
Just gave a sigh to other times,
借紛繁景象把心事排除。
And found in busier scenes relief.
親愛的瑪麗!我也像這般,
Thus, Mary! will it be with me,
不得不與你芳姿告別;
And I must view thy charms no more;
倘若我在你左近盤桓,
For, while I linger near to thee,
我也會嘆惜往日的一切。
I sigh for all I knew before.
遠游能使我明智地脫險,
In flight I shall be surely wise,
逃離此間魔障的引誘;
Escaping from temptation's snare;
只要我還能見到這樂園,
I cannot view my paradise
就不甘默認我無福消受。
Without the wish of dwelling there.