The banker's dressing-room was a plainly furnished little chamber, with a gray carpet, a large bureau, and a long mirror.
這位銀行家的起居室是一間布置簡樸的小房間,地上鋪著一塊灰色地毯,放著一個大柜櫥和一面長鏡子。
Holmes went to the bureau first and looked hard at the lock.
福爾摩斯先走到大柜櫥跟前,緊盯著上面的鎖。
"Which key was used to open it?" he asked.
"是用哪把鑰匙開這鎖的?"他問道。
"That which my son himself indicated -- that of the cupboard of the lumber-room."
"就是我兒子指出的--那把開貯藏室食品櫥的鎖的鑰匙。"
"Have you it here?" "That is it on the dressing-table."
"它在你這里嗎?""就是那把放在化妝臺上的鑰匙。"
Sherlock Holmes took it up and opened the bureau.
福爾摩斯把它拿過來打開大柜櫥。
"It is a noiseless lock," said he. "It is no wonder that it did not wake you.
"這是一把無聲的鎖,"他說,"難怪它沒有吵醒你。
This case, I presume, contains the coronet. We must have a look at it."
這只盒子我想就是裝那皇冠的。我們必須看一看。"
He opened the case, and taking out the diadem he laid it upon the table.
他打開盒子,將皇冠取出來放在桌子上。
It was a magnificent specimen of the jeweller's art, and the thirty-six stones were the finest that I have ever seen.
這是一件華麗的珠寶工藝品,那三十六塊綠玉是我從未見過的最精美的玉石。
At one side of the coronet was a cracked edge, where a corner holding three gems had been torn away.
皇冠的一邊有一道裂口,一個角上有三塊綠玉被扳掉了。
"Now, Mr. Holder," said Holmes, "here is the corner which corresponds to that which has been so unfortunately lost.
"現(xiàn)在,霍爾德先生,"福爾摩斯說,"這個邊角和那不幸丟失綠玉的邊角是對稱的。
Might I beg that you will break it off."
我請你試一試看能否將它掰開。"