Getting back to our story, I am not having ham, eggs or waffles; I'm having a bowl of cereal. 言歸正傳,我沒有吃火腿、雞蛋或者華夫餅;而是吃了碗麥片。
And, to prepare my cereal, I put it into a bowl and I pour skim milk on top. 而且,為了準備我的麥片,我把它倒進碗里,并在上面倒入脫脂牛奶。
Skim, "skim," milk is milk with no or very little fat in it. 脫脂牛奶(skim),就是牛奶里沒有或只有微量的脂肪。
Milk comes in four different types: you have whole milk, which has the most fat; 牛奶分四類:全脂牛奶;它的脂肪最多;
you have two percent milk, which has somewhat less fat; 含百分之二脂肪的牛奶,它的脂肪略少;
you can have one percent, which is even less fat; 含百分之一脂肪的牛奶,它的脂肪更少;
or you can have fat free, or skim, milk, which has little or no fat at all. 或脫脂牛奶,它只有些微或根本就沒有脂肪。
Well, because I don't want to be a big American, I have skim milk. 嗯,因為我不想成為大塊頭,所以我喝脫脂牛奶。
In order to eat my cereal, I have to "take a spoon out of the silverware tray." 為了吃麥片,我得“從銀碟里拿一根調(diào)羹”
The silverware, "silverware," (all one word) is the name we give the knife, the fork, and the spoon together. 銀器(silverware),(一個字)是刀叉勺的總稱。
Sometimes those are called silverware even though they are not made of silver. 有時它們被稱為銀器,就算它們不是銀做的。