All stories begin with "Once upon a time".
所有的故事都以"從前 "開頭。
And that's just what this story is all about: what happened, once upon a time.
那恰好是這個故事所要講的:從前發(fā)生了什么?
Once you were so small that, even standing on tiptoes, you could barely reach your mother's hand.
從前你非常小,站著都幾乎夠不著你母親的手。
Do you remember?
你記得嗎?
世界小史1.jpg
Your own history might begin like this:
你自己的故事可能這樣開頭:
"Once upon a time there was a small boy" – or a small girl – "and that small boy was me".
“從前有一個小男孩”--或者一個小女孩--“那個小男孩就是我”。
But before that you were a baby in a cradle.
在那以前你是一個襁褓中的嬰孩。
You won't remember that, but you know it's true.
這一點你回憶不起來了,但是你知道。
Your father and mother were also small once, and so was your grandfather, and your grandmother.
你的父親和母親從前也是小孩,你的祖父和祖母也一樣。
a much longer time ago, but you know that too.
這已經是很久以前的事,但你仍然知道這件事。
After all, we say: "They are old".
我們說:“他們是老人”。
But they too had grandfathers and grandmothers, and they, too, could say:"Once upon a time".
他們也曾經有過祖父和祖母,所以他們也曾經可以說:"從前"。
And so it goes on, further and further back.
所以就這樣永遠上溯,再上溯。
Behind every "Once upon a time" there is always another.
在每一個"從前"之后總是還有另一個。