Bess, do you hear a noise?
貝絲,你聽到噪音了嗎?
Yes, Tom; what is it?
是的,湯姆。那是什么聲音?
It is the mill by our house; logs are cut there.
是從房子旁邊的磨坊里傳來的,那里在鋸木頭。
How do they cut the logs, Tom, with an ax?
湯姆,他們是怎么鋸木頭的,用斧子嗎?
Not with an ax, Bess; it is too hard work; they cut them with a saw.
不用斧子,貝絲,那太難弄了。他們用鋸子把木頭鋸斷。
May we not go and see the mill at work, Tom?
我們難道不能去看看磨坊里是怎么干活的嗎,湯姆?
Yes, I think so. The air is cool, and we can walk in the shade.
好啊,我想可以。空氣涼爽,我們可以在樹蔭下走過去。
We should go soon, Bess, or the pile of wood will be gone.
我們該快點走,貝絲,否則那堆木頭就要鋸完了。
Our two goats and the cart are here, Tom; we can ride to the mill.
湯姆,我們的兩頭山羊和小車在這兒,我們可以駕車去磨坊。
It is not up hill, and the goats can pull us fast.
這里不是上坡,山羊可以拉我們快點走。