1.動名詞作介詞賓語的時候很多,特別是用在某些成語后面:
I'm thinking of visiting these cities.
我在想游覽這些城市。
She was tired of drawing.
她畫畫已經畫厭了。
Are you interested in going to the show?
你有興趣去看演出嗎?
Have you succeeded in convincing them?
你成功地說服他們了嗎?
I've been looking forward to coming to Beijing.
我一直盼望來北京。
He's fond of swimming in deep water.
他喜歡在深水中游泳。
2.動名詞還可和許多介詞一起構成介詞短語作狀語:
After playing chess,we watched TV.
下過棋之后我們看電視。
Give me a phone call before leaving home.
離家前給我打個電話。
Thanks for coming.
謝謝你來。
He felt a great delight in helping others.
幫助別人他感到很高興。
Instead of going home,he went to see a film.
他沒回家而是去看了一場電影。
She left early for fear of missing the train.
她動身早以免誤車。
3.動名詞還可和介詞構成短語作定語(a)作表語(b):
a. She hasn't got much experience in looking after babies.
照看嬰兒她沒有多少經驗。
I like your method of doing the work.
我喜歡你這種工作的方法。
Do you have any objection to my going there.
我去那里你有反對意見嗎?
That's their way of doing things.
這是他們行事的辦法。
b. I'm all for going by bus.
我完全贊成坐公共汽車去。
Who is against changing the plan?
誰反對改變計劃?
It was like finding a needle in a haystack.
這簡直是大海撈針。
4.用在介詞后的動名詞還可用被動或完成形式:
They insisted on their being treated as equals.
他們堅持對他們要平等相待。
She was furious at being denied admittance.
不讓她進去她很生氣。
I have no idea of their having done such a thing.
我不知道他們做過這樣的事。
Only then can we regard ourselves as having done our duty.
只有這時我們才能認為自己盡到了責任。