《這不是告別》作為全美媒體和讀者的年度之選,一出版就迅速橫掃《紐約時報》暢銷書榜長達45周,席卷全球三十多國。故事講述了一頭紅發(fā)、穿著肥大男款襯衫的Eleanor,與沉默寡言、沉迷于音樂和漫畫世界的Park之間的故事。
"Your dad…"
“你爸爸…”
"I don't want to talk about him."
“我不想談他。”
"No…" Park said. "I just like it. I like the way it feels."
“不是…”帕克說,“我只是喜歡這樣,喜歡這種感覺?!?/p>
# Park #
#帕克#
Meaning, did anyone try to flush his face down the toilet?
她的意思是:有人把你的臉按到馬桶里嗎?
"Am I grounded?" he asked.
他問:“我被關禁閉了?”
"Park," she said, "do you… want to look like girl? Is that what this about? Eleanor dress like boy. You look like girl?"
她說:“帕克,你…是不是想裝成女孩?是不是這樣?埃莉諾穿得像男孩,你就像女孩?”
"Like girl?"
“像女孩的感覺?”
His mother sat for another minute, then left.
媽媽又坐了一分鐘,然后走了。
She stared at a jumble of Star Wars action figures piled up on the shelf over his bed. He hadn't touched them for years.
她看著帕克床頭架子上面成堆的《星際爭霸》人偶。他好多年沒碰過了。
A couple of kids had called Park names in the halls, but it didn't hurt like he thought it might. Lots of other people said he looked cool.
有幾個孩子在走廊罵他,他沒有像想象中那樣受傷,很多人說他看起來很酷。
Park told Eleanor not to come over after school. He figured he was grounded. He washed his face as soon as he got home and sent himself to his room.
帕克和埃莉諾說下課后不必來,他想自己大概被關禁閉了。他到家后馬上洗臉,回房間。
His mom sat on his bed. She looked like she'd had a long day. You could see her lipliner.
媽媽坐在他床上。她看起來很疲憊,唇線清晰可見。
"It was fine," he said.
他說:“還好?!?/p>
"No," he said. "Like myself."
“不,像我自己?!?/p>
"I don't know," she said. "Did you have a good day at school?"
她說:“我不知道。你今天在學校還好嗎?”
His mom came in to check on him.
媽媽進來看他。