18 Contradiction
反駁
A:That was the best party I've been to for a long time .
很長時間以來,這是我參加過的最好的聚會。
I really enjoyed myself.
真開心!
B:You really enjoyed yourself?
你真的很開心?
But you hardly said a word all evening,and you didn't dance even once!
可是整個晚上幾乎沒說話,舞沒跳一次!
A:I didn't dance doesnn't mean I didn't enjoy myself.
沒不等于不開心。
The music was good,and the food excellent,and above all,
音樂很美,飯菜可口,
there were a lot of interesting people there.
此外,還有那么多有意思的人。
B:I suppose you mean that new professor from our department!
我想你說的是我們系的
Why did you always have to stick in a corner like a hermit
你們干嘛躲在角落里
and talk all night about boring academic matters.
像隱士似的整夜談那些無聊的學術(shù)問題?
Our hostess thought that you were particularly rude not socializing with anyone else.
女主人還認為你特別不禮貌,不和別人交往呢/
A:Not socializing with anyone?
不和別人交往?
I was talking to the professor,and very interesting it was,too.
我在
B:If it was such an interesting party,why did you have to leave so early?
有意思你們?yōu)槭裁茨敲丛缇碗x開?
It was only nine o'clock.
才九點鐘!
A:Wasn't it eleven when we left?
我們不是十一點離開的嗎?
Yes,it was.I don't think you're right there.
沒錯兒,你是不是弄錯了?
B:It was nine because I was talking to our hostess,
是九點,我在和主人說話,
and she asked me the time just before you came over.
你過來之前她剛問過我時間。
A:Well,I was rather tired ,
哦,我很累,
so I suggested to the professor that it was rather late and...B:Oh,come on!
于是就暗示教授不早了,而且...得了,我才不隹呢!
I don't believe that!You left because the professor left.
你離開是因為教授走了。
He suggested that it was late and time to go,didn't he?Not you!
是他暗示時候不早了該走了,是不是?不是你暗示的!
You wouldn't have left if he had wanted to stay.
要是他想留的話你不會走吧?
He apologized for not wanting to stay longer.Isn't that true?
他不能久留還表示了歉意,是不是?