陳豪在北京的ABC美國公司工作,他在走廊上遇到了剛吃完中飯回來的美國同事Amy。
(Office ambience)
C:Amy, 吃過飯了嗎?
A:I did. A group from the office went out together. We missed you.
C:我今天特別忙,所以從家里帶了便當。
A:You have a worried look. Is anything wrong?
C:你可真是好眼力。我們部門昨天來了位新同事,是坐輪椅的殘疾人。今天中午大家都出去吃飯了,辦公室只有我們兩個人。
A:That was a good opportunity for you to make her feel welcome. Was there a problem?
C:跟她在一起,我覺得很不自在,不知道怎樣做才得體。
A:What happened?
C:因為只有我們兩人,所以我上來先自我介紹。
A:That's exactly right. Why was that a problem?
C:我記得你說過,自我介紹的時候應該主動跟別人握手。
A:That's correct.
C:但是我不知道她能不能握手,所以就沒有把手伸過去。
A:What happened?
C:結果她也介紹了自己,然后主動跟我握了手。
A:You handled that exactly right. If she had not been able to shake hands, she would not have offered hers.
C:那以后遇到殘疾人,是不是都要等他們先伸手呢?
A:Yes. You never want to make assumptions about what someone in a wheelchair can or cannot do.
******
當天下午下班前,陳豪來到Amy的辦公室。
C:Amy, 你現(xiàn)在有時間嗎?
A:Come on in. Tell me what else happened with your wheel-chair bound co-worker.
C:她在我后面熱飯。微波爐的位置挺高的,我不知道她需不需要幫忙。
A:What did you do?
C:后來看她要把飯盒放進微波爐里確實很吃力,所以我就說,“May I help you?”需要幫忙嗎?
A:Your instincts were on target. You were right to ask her before you took action.
C:可是當時我就傻傻地站在那兒,挺別扭的。
A:What happened next?
C:她表示了感謝,然后讓我?guī)退扬埡蟹诺搅宋⒉t里。
A:By asking her if you could help, you gave her the option to accept or reject your offer. Persons with disabilities are accustomed to doing things for themselves.
C:我也是這么想,殘疾人其實都是很獨立的,而且能到咱們公司來工作,一定很有能力。
A:People with disabilities appreciate offers of help, but don't like others to make assumptions about what they can or can't do.
C:下次再遇到殘疾人,我該怎么做呢?
A:It is quite simple, when you introduced yourself, you let her instigate the handshake. When it appeared that she might have difficulty with something, you asked her if you could help.