075. The more...the more...
越……越……
[句型解析]
“The more...the more...”是“越……越……”。“more and more”則不同,后者是“越來越……”之意。比較以下兩句:
1. I became more and more annoyed by his behavior.
(他的行為讓我越來越惱火。)
2. The more annoyed I became, the happier he was.
(我越惱火, 他越高興。)
[實例]
1. The more you put your heart into English, the more you'll be interested in it.
你對英語投入越多,你就會越感興趣。
2. The more you pay, the more you will gain.
付出越多,收獲就越多。
3. The sooner, the better.
越快越好。
4. The earlier you set about your work, the sooner you will finish it.
你們越早開始工作,就會越快完成。
[實戰(zhàn)練習]
A: Are you still selling your car?
你還想賣你的車嗎?
B: Yeah, but the more I think about it, the more I want to keep it.
是啊,但是我越想它,越想留著它。
A: Why’s that?
為什么?
B: Because buying a new car would be very expensive and I wouldn't be able to afford the insurance.
因為買新車太貴了,也付不起保險費。
A: But you already put an ad in the paper.
但你已經在報紙上作了廣告了。
B: I know but if anybody calls, I'll just tell them it's not for sale any more.
我知道。如果有人打電話,我會告訴他們車不賣了。