| Why are those tears in your eyes, my child? | 為什么你眼里有了眼淚,我的孩子? |
| How horrid of them to be always scolding you for nothing? | 他們真是可怕,常常無謂地責備你! |
| You have stained your fingers and face with ink while writing--is that why they call you dirty? | 你寫字時墨水玷污了你的手和臉——這就是他們所以罵你齷齪的緣故么? |
| O, fie! Would they dare to call the full moon dirty because it has smudged its face with ink? | 呵,呸!他們也敢因為圓圓的月兒用墨水涂了臉,便罵它齷齪么? |
| For every little trifle they blame you, my child. They are ready to find fault for nothing. | 他們總要為了每一件小事去責備你,我的孩子。他們總是無謂地尋人錯處。 |
| You tore your clothes while playing--is that why they call you untidy? | 你游戲時扯破了你的衣服——這就是他們說你不整潔的緣故么? |
| O, fie! What would they call an autumn morning that smiles through its ragged clouds? | 呵,呸!秋之晨從它的破碎的云衣中露出微笑。那末,他們要叫它什么呢? |
| Take no heed of what they say to you, my child. | 他們對你說什么話,盡管可以不去理睬他,我的孩子。 |
| Take no heed of what they say to you, my child. | 他們把你做錯的事長長地記了一筆帳。 |
| They make a long list of your misdeeds. Everybody knows how you love sweet things--is that why they call you greedy? | 誰都知道你是十分喜歡糖果的——這就是他們所以稱你做貪婪的緣故么? |
| O, fie! What then would they call us who love you? | 呵,呸!我們是喜歡你的,那末,他們要叫我們什么呢? |