世界英語
Dr. Jill, I hear you're going on a trip nextweek.
吉爾博士,我聽說你下周要去旅行。
Yes, I'm going to Sri Lanka and India.
是的,我要去斯里蘭卡和印度。
I haven't been there in ten years.
我已經十年沒去過那里了。
I loved the elephant rescue center.
我喜歡大象救援中心。
Are you studying the languages they speak there?
你在學習他們在那里說的語言嗎?
You know me pretty well!
你很了解我!
I did learn some Tamil, but they speak English there, too!
我確實學了一些泰米爾語,但那里的人也說英語!
Of course.
當然了。
It's a bit different, isn't it?
兩種語言有點區(qū)別,對吧?
Yes, they borrow some words from Hindi, like my favorite stop--the chai wallah.
是的,他們借用了印地語中的一些詞,比如我最喜歡的一站--阿拉普扎。
You've been to South Africa, haven't you?
你去過南非,對吧?
Their English is different from ours, too.
他們的英語也和我們的不同。
I was surprised when my friend said he'd "pick me" at seven o'clock for dinner.
我朋友說他會在七點鐘來“接我”吃晚飯時,我很驚訝。
And when I lived in Japan there were some English words I didn't understand.
我住在日本的時候,有一些英語單詞我不懂。
You've traveled a lot--what do you think of all these different ways to speak English?
你去過很多地方旅游--你對這些說英語的不同方式有什么看法?
I think they're great!
我覺得很棒!
It's really interesting to hear how people have made English fit their own culture.
聽到人們如何讓英語適應自己的文化真的很有趣。
The experts call these varieties World Englishes.
專家們稱這些變種為世界英語。
So many of my students ask, "How can I sound like an American?"
我的很多學生都會問:“我怎么才能聽起來像個美國人?
I tell them, "Be proud of the way you speak English."
我告訴他們:“為你說英語的方式感到驕傲。”
Yes!
是的!
We like hearing people with different ways of speaking English.
我們喜歡聽人們用不同的方式說英語。
Now I can tell them, "You're speaking a 'World English.'
現在我可以告訴他們,“你說的是‘世界英語’。
Be proud of it!"
感到驕傲吧!”
And that's Everyday Grammar!
以上就是今天的《每日語法》!