Love set you going like a fat gold watch.
愛將你送來像胖乎乎的金表。
The midwife slapped your footsoles, and your bald cry
助產(chǎn)士拍拍你的腳心,你毫不掩飾的哭喊
Took its place among the elements.
在大自然中占定一席之地。
Our voices echo, magnifying your arrival. New statue.
我們的聲音回響,贊美著你的到來。新的雕像。
In a drafty museum, your nakedness
在通風的博物館,你的赤裸
Shadows our safety. We stand round blankly as walls.
使我們的安全蒙上陰影。我們圍站著茫然似墻。
I’m no more your mother
我不比云更像你的母親
Than the cloud that distills a mirror to reflect its own slow
云朵凝成一面鏡子映出它自己
Effacement at the wind’s hand.
緩慢地消失在風之手。
All night your moth-breath
整個晚上你蛾蟲般的呼吸
Flickers among the flat pink roses. I wake to listen:
在扁平的粉色玫瑰中顫動。我醒來傾聽:
A far sea moves in my ear.
遠方的海涌進我的耳邊。
One cry, and I stumble from bed, cow-heavy and floral
一聲哭喊,我從床上爬出,重如奶牛,
In my Victorian nightgown.
穿著飾花的維多利亞睡衣。
Your mouth opens clean as a cat’s. The window square
你的嘴開啟貓似的潔凈。那窗戶的方形
Whitens and swallows its dull stars. And now you try
變白并吞沒暗淡的星星?,F(xiàn)在你嘗試
Your handful of notes;
一連串的音符;
The clear vowels rise like balloons.
清晰的元音像氣球般升起。
(1961/02/19. pp.156—157. No.138)
* * *