"The treasure is lost," said Miss Morstan calmly.
摩斯坦小姐平靜地說道:"寶物已經丟失了。"
As I listened to the words and realized what they meant, a great shadow seemed to pass from my soul.
我聽到她這句話,體會到了其中的含意。我靈魂中的一個陰影似在消失。
I did not know how this Agra treasure had weighed me down until now that it was finally removed.
我說不出這宗阿格拉寶物壓在我的心頭是多么的沉重,現在終于被挪開了。
It was selfish, no doubt, disloyal, wrong,
不錯,這個思想是自私的、不忠實的和錯誤的,
but I could realize nothing save that the golden barrier was gone from between us.
可是除了我們兩人之間的金錢的障礙已經消除以外,其余的我都想不到了。
"Thank God!" I ejaculated from my very heart.
我從內心里感到高興,不免失聲說道:"感謝上帝!"
She looked at me with a quick, questioning smile. "Why do you say that?" she asked.
她不理解地微笑著問我道:"您為什么這樣說呢?"
"Because you are within my reach again," I said, taking her hand. She did not withdraw it.
我握住了她的手,她沒有縮回去。我道:"因為我敢于張口了。
"Because I love you, Mary, as truly as ever a man loved a woman.
梅麗,我愛你,就如同任何男人愛女人那樣的懇切。
Because this treasure, these riches, sealed my lips.
以前,這些寶物,這些財富堵住了我的嘴。
Now that they are gone I can tell you how I love you. That is why I said, 'Thank God.'"
現在寶物失掉了,我可以告訴你我是多么地愛你了。因此我才說:'感謝上帝。'"
"Then I say 'Thank God,' too," she whispered as I drew her to my side.
我把她攬到身邊,她輕輕地說道:"那么我也應該說:'感謝上帝。'"
Whoever had lost a treasure, I knew that night that I had gained one.
不管誰丟失了寶物,我知道,那天晚上我卻得到了一宗寶物。